These Dark Chocolate Almond Rice Krispy Treats are great lunch addition for the kids and while they definitely still are a treat I love the addition of the almonds and almond butter. It kind of gives Rice Krispy Treats a bit of a health upgrade (albeit small).
You can cut these in large pieces to serve 12 or 24 for smaller treats. I ended up cutting them into 24, bagging them all up and putting them in the freezer to pop in the girls lunches.
20 minPrep Time
20 minTotal Time
- 7 cups of Rice Krispy type cereal (we used gluten free)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter or coconut oil for dairy free(if you use salted, omit the salt below)
- 1 bag of mini marshmallows (about 10 oz)
- 3/4 cup almond butter (unsalted) *
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup of finely chopped dark chocolate or mini dark chocolate chips (dairy free if ness)
- 1/2 cup unsalted chopped roasted almonds
- Prepare 9x13 pan by spraying with cooking spray and lining with parchment paper, spray again on top of the parchment
- Measure cereal into large bowl
- Using a large pot melt butter over medium heat
- Stir in marshmallows, almond butter and salt until all is melted and combined (be careful to burn)
- Remove form heat and pour in cereal and stir to combine
- Cool mixture slightly (so chocolate won’t melt when you combine them) about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in dark chocolate and almonds.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan
- Press into pan with your hands
- Let set for 20 minutes or more
- Lift out of pan using the parchment
- Cut into 12-24 pieces
- Store in an airtight container
- Should stay fresh 4-5 days
* and if you want it, here is the recipe for Homemade Almond Butter.
This Post Contains Affiliate Links - Disclosure Policy