These Dark Chocolate Almond Rice Krispy Treats are great lunch addition for the kids and while they definitely still are a treat I love the addition of the almonds and almond butter. It kind of gives Rice Krispy Treats a bit of a health upgrade (albeit small).
You can cut these in large pieces to serve 12 or 24 for smaller treats. I ended up cutting them into 24, bagging them all up and putting them in the freezer to pop in the girls lunches.
Dark Chocolate Almond Rice Krispy Treats
20 minPrep Time
20 minTotal Time
- 7 cups of Rice Krispy type cereal (we used gluten free)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter or coconut oil for dairy free(if you use salted, omit the salt below)
- 1 bag of mini marshmallows (about 10 oz)
- 3/4 cup almond butter (unsalted) *
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup of finely chopped dark chocolate or mini dark chocolate chips (dairy free if ness)
- 1/2 cup unsalted chopped roasted almonds
- Prepare 9x13 pan by spraying with cooking spray and lining with parchment paper, spray again on top of the parchment
- Measure cereal into large bowl
- Using a large pot melt butter over medium heat
- Stir in marshmallows, almond butter and salt until all is melted and combined (be careful to burn)
- Remove form heat and pour in cereal and stir to combine
- Cool mixture slightly (so chocolate won’t melt when you combine them) about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in dark chocolate and almonds.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan
- Press into pan with your hands
- Let set for 20 minutes or more
- Lift out of pan using the parchment
- Cut into 12-24 pieces
- Store in an airtight container
- Should stay fresh 4-5 days
* and if you want it, here is the recipe for Homemade Almond Butter.
This Post Contains Affiliate Links - Disclosure Policy
Maggie Miller says