Pesto is SO good.
I never tasted it until after college. It was just not something I grew up with.
I ordered it one day at an Italian food restaurant and never looked back. That stuff is amazing!
It goes with veggies, chicken, shrimp, pasta, I think it would even be good on steak. It’s the perfect easy meal. Boil some pasta and whip this up in a few minutes and your family may think they are dining at a fancy restaurant.
It’s easiest to make in a food processor. Those things are invaluable, make sure you have one in your kitchen.
As a note, I used almonds in this recipe instead of the more traditional pine nuts. Pine nuts are very expensive and almonds were a more frugal option. Pistachios work well, too.
Grandma's Easy Basil Pesto
5 minPrep Time
5 minTotal Time
- 4 oz of Basil (stems are OK, unless woody)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 oz chopped almonds or almond meal (I used raw)
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt (plus salt to taste)
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Add all ingredients except olive oil to food processor
- Blend on high to break it all down
- Scrape down as pessary
- Drizzle in olive oil until combined
- You may need to scrape down the sides a couple times
- Serve with pasta, chicken, fish, beef, etc.
- Store for a day or 2 in a covered jar
- You may want to drizzle with lemon juice to help it from oxidizing if not using right away.
This Post Contains Affiliate Links - Disclosure Policy