My husband cooks/bakes two things (if you don’t count hot dog soup from college… which I don’t). brownies from the box and pie (either lemon meringue or coconut cream).
It’s funny to me because I don’t even make pie very often, but he will. Growing up his mom had a Betty Crocker cookbook and he would make these pies from it (and where this recipe is taken from).
A couple weeks ago we bought some hand soap that smelled like lemon and he said it reminding him of Lemon Meringue Pie, so he wanted to make one.
Of course the girls wanted to join in. Then, of course, it became a three ring circus.
But they did it! And it tasted great.
Does your husband have any “specialties” he likes to cook or bake?
30 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- Crust- We used a Gluten free premade crust. Feel free to buy or make your favorite pie crust
- Lemon Filling
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 egg whites (make sure they are free of any yolk)
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 475°F
- Bake Crust in pie tin for 8 to 10 minutes
- Set aside to cool
- Reduce oven to 400°F
- In small bowl, beat egg yolks with fork or whisk.
- In a medium saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in water. Then cook over medium heat while stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and boils. After it thickens boil and keep stirring for 1 minute.
- Stir at least half of hot mixture into egg yolks in the bowl you set aside (don’t skip this. It’s called tempering the eggs and ensures you don’t end up with scrambled eggs.
- Then add to into hot mixture in saucepan and continue stirring. Boil and stir 2 minutes Remove from heat. Stir in butter, lemon peel and lemon juice.
- Pour your lemon mixture into baked and cooled pie crust.
- Set aside
- With a stand mixer or beaters beat on high your egg whites and cream of tartar in a medium bowl until foamy. Add 1 tablespoon sugar at a time and continue beating until stiff and glossy. Add vanilla and beat until combined.
- Pour or spoon onto lemon pie filling. Spreading evenly all the way to the edge (we were not carful and the meringue shrunk away form the edge a bit.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until meringue browned slightly. Cool for 2 hours then cover and refrigerate.
- After cooling store in the refrigerator.
This Post Contains Affiliate Links - Disclosure Policy
Leave a Reply