Wow, until recently I have never prepared mashed potatoes in the slow cooker.
I was in for a real surprise.
The taste totally different than traditional, boiled potatoes for mashing.
The depth of flavor is greater. I would say more like when you roast potatoes. They are definitely not boring.
For another great side dish try our Cheddar Bacon Risotto
Stir in a little bit of herbs, top with butter or a spoon of gravy and you have a new potato side dish to add to your repertoire.
Let me know if you try them and what you think.
Amazing Slowcooker Mashed Potatoes
10 minPrep Time
2 hrCook Time
2 hr, 10 Total Time
- 2.5 pounds of red potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes (peeled or unpeeled)
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 2 tsps fresh, chopped garlic
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- non-stick spray
- prepare the slow cooker insert with non stick spray
- Add potatoes, garlic and salt
- Stir to distribute seasoning
- Cover and cook 2-3 hours on high or 5-6 hours on low (but you may want to check, mine cooked very quickly on high, a little less than 2 hours)
- Turn of slowcooker and add Greek yogurt, milk and butter.
- With a potato masher, mash until desired consistency or mix with a hand blender until desired consistency (don't over mix or potatoes get gluey).
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs if desired.
This Post Contains Affiliate Links - Disclosure Policy