In the city where we live (San Diego area) you can find a taco shop on every corner. One local one touts the “Best Chicken Soup”, and to be honest.. it kind of is. That is some yummy soup!!
So their soup kind of inspired my soup. I hope you like this Lourdes Chicken Soup Recipe Copycat on a cold day or a day you just have a cold. It is good!
Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup
25 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 25 Total Time
- 1 lb raw chicken breast diced
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 8 cups of chicken stock
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp dried red chili powder (not hot)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Juice of 1/4 of a lime or small lemon
- Chopped cilantro
- Diced avocado
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in large stock pot on medium and add diced raw chicken breast, sauté until lightly cooked on each side, about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove chicken and set aside
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in pot and add carrots, celery, onion and garlic and sauté for 5-6 minutes.
- Add chicken, chicken stock, rice, cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook in medium low to medium for about 1 hour or until rice is cooked
- Stir occasionally to make sure your rice isn't sticking
- Skim off any oil that comes to the top (I also removed the oregano pieces that where in the oil)
- Stir in 1-2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro and the lime juice.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with cilantro, avocado and lime wedges
- Salt and pepper to taste
This Post Contains Affiliate Links - Disclosure Policy