I have another delicious Trader Joes Inspired meal for you!
It’s totally budget and kid friendly. Not all kiddos will like the Red Pepper Aioli but the Black Bean burger is just as easier served with traditional fare like ketchup.
My family really loved this meal and with the leftover bean mixture (I only made 4 burgers) I made black bean tacos the next night, which was also a big hit. I slathered mine in the Red Pepper Aioli.
This meal is totally meat free.. so perfect for a meatless Monday (or any night for that matter!).
I served the burgers with Trader Joes French fries (which can be found in the frozen section) and whole mandarin oranges. But some other frugal side options would be baby carrots, salad or apple slices.
In order to stay in budget and not spend hours in the kitchen I often keep my side dishes very simple… roasted broccoli or washed fruit straight from the fridge. I don’t think dinner needs to be complected.
Check out my Easy Roasted Vegetable Medley
This recipe should run you under $10 and serves 6.
Black Bean Burger with Red Pepper Aioli
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 2 cans of black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used gluten free)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (I am not a fan of fresh onions.. but if you are please feel free to use 1/8 cup finely grated white onion instead)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 hamburger rolls, warmed
- cut avocado
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Trader Joes Red Pepper Spread (if you don't have this substitute about 2 tablespoons roasted red peppers and a clove of garlic made into a paste in your food processor)
- Add one can of beans to the food processor with, egg, garlic, onion, cumin and chili powder.
- Pulse until combined (if you don't have a food processor combine ingredients in a large bowl and mash with a fork until combined).
- Add second can of beans and bread crumbs and stir until combined.
- Allow mixture to rest for 5-10 minutes
- Heat 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large pan on medium to medium low.
- Divide burger mixture in half and then each half into 3rds
- Form each 3rd into patties and place into hot oil (don't crowd the pan)
- Fry each patty for 4-5 minutes per side, adding a teaspoon at a time of oil as needed.
- If the patties brown too quickly, reduce heat
- Set each aside on a paper towel when done.
- For Red Pepper Aioli
- Combine Red Pepper Spread and mayonnaise in a small bowl and stir.
- To assemble burgers:
- Place each burger on top of a warm bun
- Top with about 1 tablespoon Red Pepper Aioli and sliced avocado
Are you fan of meatless burgers? Make sure you try my best black bean burger recipe!
This Post Contains Affiliate Links - Disclosure Policy
Leave a Reply