Don’t you love homemade butter cream frosting?
It’s just so yummy. I could sit and eat a bowl (if I would not get sick, lol).
If you a stuck in the rut of just using canned frosting you are really missing out. Sure, it’s easy to use, but it’s no where near as good.
And to be honest Buttercream is easy to make and only takes about 6 minutes.
With homemade frosting, no one will be the wiser that the cake was from a box mix ;).
Perfect 6 Minute Buttercream
6 minCook Time
6 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup softened butter (salted or unsalted, depending on your preference)
- 4 cups/one pound powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3-5 tablespoons milk or cream
- Add softened butter into your stand mixer or bowl
- Beat butter on medium to high in stand mixer or with a hand mixer for 3 minutes until fluffy
- Just before the end of 3 minutes add vanilla and 3 tablespoons milk to butter, keep beating
- Reduce to medium low or medium
- Slowly pour in powdered sugar and continue beating for a total of 3 more minutes on medium moving up to high speed as sugar is incorporated.
- If you want to add in food coloring, add in while it is beating that last 3 minutes.
- If frosting is too stiff add in more milk 1 tsp at a time and beat until combined.
- Spread on cake or cookies
- To store place butter cream in an airtight container and store in refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Bring to room temp prior to frosting.
This Post Contains Affiliate Links - Disclosure Policy