I LOVE Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
It’s just so good. I think the absolute best there is is Panera’s. I have to have it every time I go.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup is perfect for Autumn. It’s warm and conforming and actually pretty easy to put together.
It’s one of those dishes that makes you look like you slaved away when really it took close to 30 minutes to have ready to go on the table (depending on how long you let the veggies cook).
You can leave this soup chunky or puree it with a stick blender. I am not a huge fan of chunky soups but I think this soup is best when you allow it to cook kind of on the long side to soften everything but leave it chunky (like Panera’s).
Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 4 cups of chicken stock or broth (or vegetable)
- 3/4 cup cream
- 8 oz of freshly grated mild cheddar cheese (don’t use pre-shredded)
- 16 oz of frozen broccoli chopped
- 1/2 of medium onion chopped (small chop is best)
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 2 medium carrots shredded
- 1/2 of the juice of a fresh lemon
- 1/4 cup flour (use all purpose gluten free if necessary) plus 1-2 tablespoons if you want it thicker
- 1 tsp salt and more to taste at the end if desired
- Freshly ground black pepper.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium.
- Add onion, garlic, carrot and broccoli and sauté until onions are clear, but still white. 5-10 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup flour onto veggies and stir to coat, cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add 4 cups of chicken stock and lemon juice, stir to distribute flour into the stock
- Cover and cook for 15-30 minutes, until veggies are as soft as you like for soup (I like them very soft). Turn down the heat if it is boiling to strongly. Stir occasionally.
- If soup is not thick enough, make a slurry with 2-3 tablespoons water or stock and 1 tablespoon flour, stir into soup until desired thickness is achieved.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly
- Add about 1/3 of shredded cheese and stir to melt and combine, repeat until all cheese is added and melted.
- Stir in cream and combine.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
This Post Contains Affiliate Links - Disclosure Policy