As much as I like to eat healthily, I LOVE Macaroni and Cheese.
The problem is that our family is gluten free and also avoids most dairy. Sad, huh, sometimes? Luckily I am tenacious and I WILL find a way to eat some of the food I like to treat myself too and still stick with our food limitations.
So I am pretty excited for this Breakfast Macaroni and Cheese recipe, for a lot reasons.
1. You can make it easily if you have NO food sensitivities.
2. If you do, you can make it too!!
This recipe, could be made for gluten free, dairy free, soy free, vegetarian.. or regular folks 🙂
It’s amazing ANY of those ways. All the subs are down in the recipe for gluten free, dairy free and soy free. If you are vegetarian simply sub in a vegetarian sausage and follow the dairy free recommendations I offer.
This is good stuff, you will not be disappointed.
You may also be interested in these recipes from Frugal Living Mom:
|Salt and Pepper
|My Secret Weapon
|“Doritos” Popcorn||Cucumber Chips|
Breakfast Macaroni and Cheese
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 8 oz of browned, crumbled Breakfast sausage (I’m sure bacon or ham would be great, too)
- 8 oz of dry macaroni or tube pasta, 2 oz reserved (I used gluten free)
- 2 cups of whole milk or one can of light coconut milk plus enough water to equal 2 cups
- 3 large eggs
- 8 oz of shredded cheddar cheese (non dairy cheese like Daiya works, too)
- 3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flour (I used brown rice flour for gluten free)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 cup panko or dry bread crumbs (I used gluten free)
- Preheat your oven to 350
- Prepare a 7x10 (approx) baking dish (spray with non cook spray if you like, I did not)
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions, except undercook slightly. You want your past VERY al dente. When done, drain and set aside.
- While your pasta is boiling. Add oil or butter to a medium saucepan and heat over medium.
- Add flour to oil and wisk for up to 5 minutes, don’t let it brown.
- Wisk in your milk (or coconut milk), salt and mustard powder.
- Wisk until there are no lumps and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until thickened.
- Turn of heat and remove pan from the stove top.
- Crack eggs into a separate bowl and temper with about 1/4 cup of hot milk mixture. (this brings up the temp of the eggs so they are less likely to scramble when they are added to the milk mixture).
- Wisk tempered eggs into the milk mixture.
- Add 6 oz of cheese and wisk together (if this doe not melt completely it is fine.)
- Add in browned sausage and mix with cheese sauce.
- Combine the cheese sauce/sausage with the prepared macaroni (you may need a separate bow for that) and pour into baking dish.
- Combine panko and 2oz of reserved cheddar cheese and sprinkle on top of macaroni.
- Bake for 30 minutes and allow to rest for a few minutes prior to serving.
This Post Contains Affiliate Links - Disclosure Policy