Let me preface this whole post.. I am terrible at making candy!! I am simply not a very precise person and candy making calls for that. So when I try it always looks like and episode of I Love Lucy in my kitchen… Good thing I do have enough improvising skills to make up for my lack of precision..
That said this recipe does have promise for someone with less inept candy making skills than I do..lol. They were tasty and they ended up looking great for Halloween!!
Dairy Free Caramel Apples
- 8 small apples
- 1 cup cup full fat coconut milk (not lite or creme of coconut)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4-6oz of Dairy free chocolate
- wooden popsicle sticks
- Start with cold apples either from the refrigerator or like me throw them into the freezer for a couple minutes (lol). Put in the stick before you start so you are ready right away when the caramel is ready.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat heat the coconut cream to just before boiling
- Add the coconut sugar, brown rice syrup and salt and stir to dissolve it.Bring to a boil. You must stir continuously.
- You must stir continuously.
- You must stir continuously…. 😉 Don’t stop stiring..
- Boil for up to 20 minutes (it took me 10 and that was too long..), until it reaches 246F to F-250 F. Note.. this happens very quickly and if you are like me your caramel will get too hot too fast (and get hard..)
- Place your pan (carefully) a ice water bath (don’t get the caramel wet) for a few seconds.
- Remove apples from refrigerator or freezer (like me)
- Either dip your apples into the caramel or if you are like me and it got too hard put back on the stove for a few seconds to heat it back up a bit and try to drizzle the caramel on to your apples as fast as you can.. 😉
- Put the caramel apples onto either wax paper or parchment sprayed with oil.
- Chop your chocolate and place in a microwave safe bowl
- Microwave for 30 seconds or so and remove to stir. If it is not melted enough microwave for a few more seconds until completely melted.
- Load the melted chocolate into a zip top baggie and snip off the end to make a small hole.
- Squeeze the melted chocolate through and drizzle on to the apples.
- Optional.. you could also sprinkle on chopped nuts before the harden completely.. I wanted almonds but I was unfortunately out..
Eat these Dairy Free Caramel Apples as soon as you can.. not that that will be a problem..
This Post Contains Affiliate Links - Disclosure Policy