Many thanks to Walmart and Kingsford charcoal for their sponsorship of this post.
Does your family like grilling and burgers as much as mine does?
I live in San Diego, so I feel pretty lucky that I can grill almost all year round.
When Kingsford Charcoal and Walmart approached me to make a grilling recipe with Walmart meats I wanted to come up with something just a little different.
And I think that this burger does the trick. It’s a Philly CheeseSteak Burger. And I will brag just a little..
It’s moist, juicy and has a ton of flavor.
When I was researching Philly Cheesesteaks I noticed that they are actually pretty simple. Not a lot of spices, just the basics. So I wanted to keep this burger that way, too. Some recipes had grilled mushrooms, so I actually decided to mix though into the meat to make it even more moist and flavorful that it already was.
It really works!
The burger does take a bit to prepare as it has multiple ingredients. One way that you might want to speed up the process is to grill the onions and peppers all together; this will probably reduce the prep/cooking time by around 8 minutes. And I think it will still work nicely.
Also, we are gluten free, so I used gluten free hamburger buns, but your favorite buns will work for this recipe.
Hope you enjoy, let me know if you do.
- 16 oz of fresh, 80/20 ground Beef from Walmart
- 5 ounces of mushrooms, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, sliced thin into strips
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, sliced thin into strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin into rings (I halved mine)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4-6 slices of provolone cheese
- 4-6 buttered hamburger buns
- Place ground beef into a medium to large bowl, set aside.
- Add mushrooms olive oil and onion powder, salt and pepper to a food processor.
- Pulse until mixture comes together into a paste.
- Add mushroom mixture/paste to the beef and combine.
- Note: although messy I find it most affective to use your hands for this.
- After combined separate mixture into 2 sections and divide each section into 2 burgers, making 4 burgers total.
- Form into equal patties and set aside.
- Prepare your charcoal grill with Kingsford Charcoal and light according to directions
- If you have a large grill cook all the burgers at once. Cook 5-7 minute per side or until done.
- Add 1 slice of cheese to each burger the last minute or two of cooking.
- DO NOT press the burgers to squeeze out any juice, this makes them dry.
- While burgers are cooking prepare a skillet with 1 tablespoon butter and heat to medium.
- Add onions and a pinch of salt and caramelize over medium to medium high heat for 7-9 minutes.
- Remove and set aside
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to skillet and add Bell Peppers
- Add a pinch of salt and caramelize over medium to medium high heat for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove and set aside
- Add buttered buns (butter side down) to the hot skillet and brown for 1-2 minutes
- To assemble
- Spread 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise onto each set of buns
- Place burger with cheese onto buns
- Add 1/4-1/3 cup of onions and peppers to each burger
- Place bun top on each burger.
- Enjoy immediately.
Leave a Reply