This is a tip that is passed for this year, but great to keep in mind for next.
Depending on when you file your taxes, you get your tax refund from early February to summer. Before you know it, most of your refund is frittered away on bills, meals out, and little treats for your family. Then you have nothing to show for it!
Before you start spending any of your tax refund, set aside part of it for Christmas spending. The amount you put aside depends on your Christmas budget and how big your refund is. Decide how much you’re going to save and stick it in your Christmas savings account.
As an alternative, adjust your withholding status so you get more money each pay period. When you overpay on your taxes, you are basically giving the government an interest-free loan.
If you have the discipline to save extra from each paycheck, talk to your accountant to see how you can change your withholding status!
Snag 100 Days to Christmas: A Daily Dose of Inspiration & Motivation for a Busy Holiday Season. Grab an ebook that begins on September 16, and leads you day-by-day toward a peaceful and meaningful holiday season. Also included is a companion workbook containing 31 interactive lists from ListPlanIt.com for all of your holiday gift, card, party, and meal planning needs! eBook buyers will get a code for a FREE 60-Day trial to ListPlanIt.com!
- View the whole 100 Days of Saving on Christmas here.
- Day 1, Shop Groupon and Other Deal Sites
- Day 2, Use FFD and Other Deal Blogs
- Day 3, Use Kohls Coupons for Freebies
- Day 4, Use Swagbucks
- Day 5, Save Your Change Throughout the Year
- Day 6, Recycle for Cash
- Day 7, Sell Old Items on Ebay or Craigslist
- Day 8, Have a Garage Sale
- Day 9, Create an Etsy Store
- Day 10, Eat at Home
- Day 11, Buy From the Thrift Store and Save the Difference
- Day 12, Shop at Garage Sales for New Items
- Day 13, Make Lunches to Take to Work
- Day 14,Turn Your Thermostat Up or Down
- Day 15, Shop the Dollar Store for Gifts
- Day 16, Bake or Make Gifts
- Day 17, Give Acts of Service
- Day 18, Start a Family Tradition of Volunteering
- Day 19, Stockpile Gifts Throughout the Year
- Day 20, Make a Christmas Budget
- Day 21, Drive Less During the Year
- Day 22, Trade Babysitting with Friends
- Day 23, Sign Up for Goldstar
- Day 24, Sell Your Clothing to a Resale Store
- Day 25, Sign up for Plink
- Day 26, Try Ebay, Craigslist, and Local Facebook for Gifts
- Day 27, Create Gift Baskets
- Day 28, Trade Services
- Day 29, Use Coupons at Restaurants
- Day 30, Find a Work at Home Job
- Day 31: Shop Garage Sales for Christmas Decorations
- Day 32, Downsize Your Gift List
- Day 33, Sell Your Service on Fivver
- Day 34, Enter Blog Giveaways for Gifts
This Post Contains Affiliate Links - Disclosure Policy