Gas is a big part of most families’ budgets, and trimming down your use in this area can save you lots of money for Christmas time. Take a look at your monthly budget and make sure you have a set amount for gas. This should include gas for everyone who drives in your family, unless you have teenage kids that pay for their own gas. Be realistic—don’t write down how much gas you wish you used, write down how much you actually use on a regular basis.
Each week, look at how much you have budgeted for gas and how much you actually spent. If you spent less, take the extra from your budget and stick it in a Christmas account. Get serious with this tip by purposely striving to drive less. Carpool when you can, like when you’re going to work events or going out to lunch. Try to make fewer trips to the grocery store, do more highway driving, and stay in town more often than not.
If you do this each week, at the end of the year you will have 11 months of gas savings to use towards Christmas gifts!
Snag 100 Days to Christmas: A Daily Dose of Inspiration & Motivation for a Busy Holiday Season. Grab an ebook that begins on September 16, and leads you day-by-day toward a peaceful and meaningful holiday season. Also included is a companion workbook containing 31 interactive lists from ListPlanIt.com for all of your holiday gift, card, party, and meal planning needs! eBook buyers will get a code for a FREE 60-Day trial to ListPlanIt.com!
- View the whole 100 Days of Saving on Christmas here.
- Day 1, Shop Groupon and Other Deal Sites
- Day 2, Use FFD and Other Deal Blogs
- Day 3, Use Kohls Coupons for Freebies
- Day 4, Use Swagbucks
- Day 5, Save Your Change Throughout the Year
- Day 6, Recycle for Cash
- Day 7, Sell Old Items on Ebay or Craigslist
- Day 8, Have a Garage Sale
- Day 9, Create an Etsy Store
- Day 10, Eat at Home
- Day 11, Buy From the Thrift Store and Save the Difference
- Day 12, Shop at Garage Sales for New Items
- Day 13, Make Lunches to Take to Work
- Day 14,Turn Your Thermostat Up or Down
- Day 15, Shop the Dollar Store for Gifts
- Day 16, Bake or Make Gifts
- Day 17, Give Acts of Service
- Day 18, Start a Family Tradition of Volunteering
- Day 19, Stockpile Gifts Throughout the Year
- Day 20, Make a Christmas Budget
This Post Contains Affiliate Links - Disclosure Policy