I love a good yard sale! I have loved them since I was a little girl. It’s so cool that you can get items for up to 90% off (sometimes more) than the retail price, meaning that you can save a ton of money.
All that said there are some items that you probably should avoid. I suppose some of them have exceptions because you could come across some brand new items, but overall the following are purchase you simply should not make.
1. Bicycle helmets. It’s essential that you buy safety products like this new. When you buy used you don’t know if safety standards have changed or if the helmets have been in a crash.
2. Car Seats. Same deal at the bike helmets. Car seat can easily be defective, have been recalled or have been in a crash. It’s not worth the risk to your child.
3. Tires. Tires pose more safety issues that are not worth the risk of buy used. Find a good sale and get these new.
4. Mattresses. Yuck. Mattresses often have stains that you can’t remove and worse than that, they might have bugs. And nobody wants those!
5. Cribs. These fall into the safety issue once more. Many cribs are unsafe and have been recalled. Buy new.
6. Electronics. This is simply an issue of if the electronics work properly anymore so you are going to need to use your best judgment when considering purchasing laptops, desktops and HDTVs. If you are getting a steal and you are able to test it out right there, then maybe it is a good buy, but only you can decide that.
Also read: Simple Tricks to Get Rid of Almost Any Stain
7. Makeup. Gross. Don’t buy used makeup.. ever! And even if it is not opened it could be years old.
8. Swimsuits and Underwear. Yeah, I think you already know why.
9. Baby Bottles. Buy these new, who knows if the used ones have hiding bacteria.
10.Non Stick Pots and Pans. This stuff simply doesn’t last and you should not be using scratched up Non Stick Pots and Pans. Unless it’s a brand new set, pass it up.
Do you shop at yard sales? What are some items you would never buy?
This Post Contains Affiliate Links - Disclosure Policy