I love to make a huge pot of soup and have lunch and dinner for a few days.
Many people get in the habit of having to have different meals for dinner every night, but I have gotten my family out of that habit. I often will double a meal and we may have it two nights in a row. It is so much easier for me do do this as a busy mom.
When I made this soup I actually doubled it, it turns out very well.
This, slightly sweet (from the corn), Chicken Tortilla Soup is really delicious and hardy. It includes black beans, veggies and a little Masa to thicken it up a bit (and it gives a nice flavor).
It’s also perfect for cold or cool night.
Let me know if you give this healthy crockpot chicken tortilla soup a try and if your family enjoys it!
You may also enjoy these popular recipes at Frugal Living Mom:
|Salt and Pepper
|My Secret Weapon
|“Doritos” Popcorn||Cucumber Chips|
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
20 minPrep Time
8 hrCook Time
8 hr, 20 Total Time
- 1 pound frozen chicken breasts
- 3 cups of chick stock or broth
- 28 diced or crushed tomatoes
- 15 oz (approx) can of corn, drained
- 15 oz can of black beans, un-drained
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 medium red pepper chopped
- 1/2 of 4.5 ounce can of diced green chilies (reserve the rest for another use)
- 1/8 cup plus 1 tablespoon masa flour
- 1/2 juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Lime wedges for garnish
- 1/4- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro for garnish
- 1 avocado chopped for garnish
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Prepare a large slowcooker
- Sprinkle masa into cold stock and stir to combine
- Add chicken breasts, stock/masa, tomatoes, corn, onion, red pepper, chilies, lime juice, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, oregano and bay leaf to slowcooker.
- Stir to combine
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8.
- Add black beans during the last 1/2 hour of cooking, stir to combine.
- Remove the bay leaf
- Remove chicken breasts and shred, this should be very easy
- Add chicken back to soup and serve.
- Garnish with lime wedges, cilantro, tortilla chips and avocado.
- Note: This may also be prepared on the stovetop in a large pot in the same way. Cook for approximately 3 hours on medium low to low (on a simmer). Add the bean beans the last 30 minutes of cooking.
This Post Contains Affiliate Links - Disclosure Policy