This Post Contains Affiliate Links - Disclosure Policy
Disclosure: I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias and Smart and Final.
We love summer potluck parties and BBQ’s when getting together with friends. It’s such a fun way to have a “family event” without spending a ton of money!
Everyone in the group brings a dish and that makes sure that no body is stuck with a ton of work to do.
The other day I was browsing through my Good Housekeeping Magazine and I saw an amazing looking Summer Recipe for an icebox cake made from a creamy filling, strawberries and chocolate chip cookies. It looked so good and I thought it would be a great get together dessert.
I decided to do my own take on in and make it as a Trifle. The reason for changing it to a trifle was “display” and transport. I really dislike it when you make a beautiful dessert and it is pretty much impossible to get it where you want to go without ruining it. Making this as a trifle keeps it contained and looking yummy! All you need to do is reserve some topping in a pastry bag or resealable plastic bag, and put a few strawberry slices and cookie slices into some baggies it finish the prep when you get to your destination.
It’s an easy dessert to make, no bake, which is great for summer (plus it will make you the party HERO with an amazing looking and tasting dessert). To make it even easier you can snag some Smart &Final First Street Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies for recipe. Smart & Final has so many First Street Bakery items that can help make your shopping for large groups of people and mass gatherings. You can purchase items in bulk at Smart & Final like your desserts, produce, paper plates, napkins, utensils, drinks and lots of other items you might need for your summer parties. It not only saves time, but also money!
I love that my Smart and Final has both bulk type items and regular size, this way you can get what you need for regular groceries and for any gathering you plan to attend (you can see my whole shop at Smart & Final right here on Google+)
Also, when you head to Smart & Final from 7/24-8/6 2012 you can can purchase 2 First Street Bakery items and get a free movie ticket to see Percy Jackson, Sea of Monsters Movie. So long after the party ends you can still be a Hero to your kiddos and take them to cool off for a summer movie.
And for the grand finale.. the recipe..
Chocolate Chip Cookie, Strawberry Trifle
45 minPrep Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 pint of chilled, heavy whipping cream
- 2 8oz packages of regular cream cheese
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 16 oz package of First Street Bakery Chocolate Chip cookies, crushed into chunky crumbs, reserve 5-6 cookie to slice for garnish.
- 1 lb of fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped (reserve about 1/2 cup of sliced only for garnish)
- In a large bowl, use a mixer on high speed 1/2 cup heavy cream, cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Set aside
- In a different large bowl use a mixer on medium high 11/2 cup heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture until lightly combined.. Set aside.
- Prepare either trifle bow or cups to fill.
- Layer cookie crumbs, cream cheese/whipped cream mixture and strawberries and repeat until the top of dish is reached.
- If using trifle cups use a piping bag or a Ziploc type bag (snip end) to fill with cream mixture and pipe onto the top of trifle. If using a trifle bowl simply layer and smooth.
- Garnish with strawberries and cookie slices.
For more recipes Check out Weekend Potluck