Mmm.. I saw a photo of these on line somewhere and know I had to make apple pie baked in the apple.
They were a bit time consuming, but the family was impressed and I would definitely keep it on the list for making again!!
- ½ recipe of your favorite pie crust, 1 layer (or premade) I used a Gluten Free Crust*
- 6 medium Granny Smith Apples
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon flour (I used may favorite Gluten free flour mix)
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Prepare and roll out your pie crust on parchment paper and place into the refrigerator until you are ready to use.
- Wash apples and cut the tops of of four of them (do not peel). Hollow out the core and some of the apple to make an apple bowl.
- Place in an 8x8 glass baking dish (I did not spray.. but you may want to)
- Peel, core and dice the other 2 apples and place in a small bowl.
- Add lemon juice, flour, pumpkin pie spice, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ½ cup sugar to the apples and stir to mix
- Spoon apple mixture into your apple bowls. Pack slightly and fill to the top.
- Remove Pie Crust from the refrigerator and cut strips about 4 inches by ½ inch.
- Place 4 strips of the pie crust onto each apple in a lattice pattern (you can use more strips if you have them.. but I liked 4).
- Combine 1 tablespoon sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle on top of the pie crust lattice pattern on each apple.
- Sprinkle any remaining cinnamon sugar onto left over pie crust strips and place on a parchment covered cookie sheet.
- Bake Apple Pies baked in the Apple for 30-40 minutes until crust is golden and apple is soft.
- Bake cinnamon sugar pie crust strips for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove Apple Pies baked in the Apple and allow to cool 5-10 minutes before moving out of the dish ( they are soft and can break if you are not careful).
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
*Gluten free Pie Crust Recipe I used
For more Recipes head here..
Over 46,000 people can't be wrong. LIKE us on Facebook:
This Post Contains Affiliate Links - Disclosure Policy